Sunday 27 March 2016

Finding Myself

The problem
My name is Dupe. 

I am a blogger but I stalled- several times. I decided that I really have to do this blog today. This is probably the most important blog that I have ever done. I am writing this because I discovered myself and finally found a sense of meaning. I had been on the trail to finding who I am for a while and at an event that I attended, the final bits of discovery exploded in my head. 

Read more about the event (2016 Innovention Series) I attended here.


So unlike the other blogs I have posted, this content is more for me than for you. Selfish much- I know. In spite of this, I do hope that you find inspiration here, just as I have. Never mind. You will get my meaning shortly.

So what’s the problem? Simple. I stopped blogging. That’s a summary though. The major hitch was- I stopped some things in my life as I moved unto other things. Has this ever happened to you? 

My Journey
I started blogging in 2011 when I finally found a platform through which I could write and reach. That’s all I ever wanted to do when I was little. I studied Mass Communication for that reason and in the process, I fell in love with branding and advertising and found great interest in broadcasting. 


So I currently work in a marketing communications company where I do brand strategy. I also work part time during the weekends as a radio presenter of a fashion program. My life is not rosy-far from it! However, I love God and he helps me handle my challenges. Not just that, others look at my life and feel like they should push harder which is a good thing right?

So I design clothes as well and build the brand of our family business, a couture and ready to wear line. It's called Dadu Bajo.


Recently, I included photography in my resume because I love taking photos (got that from my dad). 


At this point I think I should have stated everything that I do. Hopefully. Oh, I also make male jewelry and sell online (don’t blame me, that market hasn’t been well tapped into). 

There are times that I feel that I have no focus and I need to have an embracing vision. If you are like me, you know what I mean. Or if there are many things you have tried your hands at, you may get me here. It’s not about money. It’s passion. Like this huge itch to start something new that works. There are serial entrepreneurs who successfully do this. They start businesses, sell them and start new ones again. They are ideas guys (I mean guys and girls here)! For instance, Jonathan Fields. He wrote the book, Career Renegade; How to make money doing what you love (you should read it).


I have never really thought of myself as a serial entrepreneur. I have started different stuff and I am yet to execute half of the business ideas that I have (I am not bragging). If there is anything, I believe that I am an innovator. 

My Advice
Developing new ideas isn’t the hard part. Making them work is key. Remembering my tutor back in school during my postgrad study, she mentioned that as a creative person, you sometimes have to kill your own babies (your ideas!) to make things work. Sounds horrid but it’s so true. Some ideas don't work. When you test them and realise this, move on to other ideas instead of having weeds that strangle the true plant.

Solution: Self Discovery
So back to my problem. I had wandered and wandered, lost focus and lost my sense of meaning. I knew this all the while and I felt it deep inside me. As a strategist I like to solve problems and I have to solve problems. Problems get me excited because they make me think of solutions or maybe initial solutions to start with. Feeling the need to turn my unfulfilled feeling around, I began thinking of ways to return to my first love- writing, what I felt made me tick.

I had lost my sense of meaning because I went from deserting the talent that had strengthen me during my childhood days as I moved on to acquire and practice other skills. The issue here is not really moving to other things. The issue is feeling unfulfilled because I was not writing.

I had stopped blogging, stopped writing the book I had intended to publish. The closest that I was to writing and touching the lives of others was content creation on social media and that itself, I was stalling at.

So I usually ask myself, who am I? Am I a designer, strategist, broadcaster, photographer etc? There was just no sense of meaning. My sister mentioned that I blog last week about my photographic works and I was reminded that I had a blog

I think back to the movie Kung Fu Panda 3, when the panda needed to know his identity. Who am I? I usually draw a link through the things that I do and tell myself that they are similar and that I was not just doing all sort of different stuff. 

I began devising a mental plan to make things change although I wasn't quite there yet. Then I got the motivation that I needed when I attended the 5th Innovention Series at the Lagos Civic Centre. 

Read about the event here. 

Realisation
Speaking of the tiny bit that struck me, Adeyemi, a speaker at the event closed his statement by revealing a reality. Intelligently, he mentioned that Africans innovate, yet do not often get regarded on world innovation/inventor listings.

Why?

Adeyemi explained that this is because we seldom tell our stories. Self esteem issues, timidity and issues of identity were blamed for this behaviour.

The action is, we need to begin telling our own stories to the world. That struck me because it is so true. I immediately began sketching a plan to begin blogging about African innovators and that idea strengthened me incredibly. I felt alive because I could tell stories that need to be told and help push Africans further, make a difference, inspire people and so on. 

It was at that point that I realized I needed to go back to blogging. There is so much information that has helped me that I indeed need to share with anyone, no matter how few. Some things have changed my life and made me better and this is the time to begin telling my story and the story of others.

Who Am I?
It was then that I realized my vision, focus and direction. Instantly, it struck me. I realized who I am. 

I am a storytellera communicator. It made so much sense that a bell of victory rang loudly in my head. It’s not about the lingo you use. It’s about how truly it resonates in you. Knowing who you are gives you focus and a sense of direction. I am a story teller and I will strive to tell stories that touch the lives of others. I will tell memorable stories through my writing. Through my photography I will tell stories of people, places and events. Through the dresses that I design I will tell stories of culture and trend, I will tell compelling stories of brands through marketing communications. I know this is me. This is what I was born to do.

Last words
If you have been able to figure out yourself, great! If not, think about the things that strengthen you and make you fulfilled. They will form the basis of your identity.

Thanks for reading. My next blog won't be this lengthy. I promise. xxx.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Dupsy Daisy's blog